February is almost here, and one of your New Year’s resolutions was to finally work on your garden! Not sure where to begin? Complements of the Natural Gardener, the “organic gardening headquarters” of Southwest Austin, you’ve come to just the right place.
My Garden: What To Do In February
1. Prepare Garden Beds for Spring
(Work in Compost, Organize Fertilizer and a Mineral Source, such a Greensand or Volcanite)
2. Plant Vegetable and Flower/Ornamental Seeds.
3. Plant Herbs, Annual Flower/Ornamental Plants, and Strawberries.
4. Plant Fruit Trees, Berries and Grapes
(Spray Apple, Peach, Pear, and Plum Trees with Actinovate or Serenade Fungicide when the Buds begin to Swell)
5. Plant Ground Covers and Borders
6. Continue to Protect tender Plants, especially new Seedlings, before a Freeze.
7. Prune Roses on and around Valentine’s Day
8. Transplant, as needed, Perennial and Landscape Plants
9. Fertilize Cool-Season Annuals with Organic Fertilizer
10. Apply Corn Gluten as a Pre-Emergent Weed Killer
11. Water Deeply before the Soil becomes Dry, especially before Freezes
12. Sit back and Enjoy!
Have questions, or need soil/supplies? Take a trip out to the Natural Gardener. “We’re a garden shop, nursery, and teaching facility dedicated to promoting organic, time-tested gardening practices,” says owner John Dromgoole. His award-winning nursery is ten-time winner of Austin Chronicle’s “Best of Austin!”
Mon-Sat: 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(Hours Change Seasonally)
8648 Old Bee Caves Road
Austin, Texas 78735
Directions to the Natural Gardener:
From North Austin:
Heading south on MoPac, take the Southwest Parkway exit. Turn right onto Southwest Parkway. Check the odometer, go 4.5 miles. You will pass Travis Country and turn left onto Travis Cook Road. Go about 1/2 mile until it dead ends into Old Bee Caves Road. The Natural Gardener is at that intersection on the right.
From South Austin:
Take Hwy 290/Hwy 71 into Oak Hill. When you reach the “Y”, take Hwy 71 West. Go about 1 mile to the traffic light at Fletcher. Turn right onto Fletcher and go about 1/4 mile until it dead ends into Old Bee Caves Road. Turn left onto Old Bee Caves Road and go 1/2 to 3/4 mile, The Natural Gardener is on the right.
The Austin REALTORS® at Regent Property Group support homegrown Austin businesses like the Natural Gardener. They also help home-buyers stay on top of the latest in Austin trends, from Tarrytown to Lake Travis. If you’re on the lookout for an Austin home for sale, check out Austin Home Search! The real estate agents at Regent stand ready to assist you.